Allergy Shots versus Allergy Drops
|Method of Administration||Shot in the Arm(s)||A Drop Under the Tongue|
|Risk of Anaphylaxis||Small||None Reported|
|Adverse Reactions||Multiple (Swelling, Itching, Hayfever, etc.)||Nausea, Itching/Swelling/Tingling in the Mouth|
|Physician Visit Required?||Weekly for Years||Every 6-12 Months|
|Allergy Testing Required||Yes (every 2-3 years as needed)||Yes (every 2-3 years as needed)|
|Insurance Coverage for Allergy Testing||Yes for Most Insurances||Yes for Most Insurances|
|Contraindications?||On beta-blocker medication, history of anaphylaxis, young children, asthmatics in our practice, pregnancy||Less than 3 years of age, asthmatics in our practice, on beta-blocker medication, pregnancy|
|Duration of Treatment||3-5+ years||3-5+ years|
|Treatment Frequency||Every 1 to 4 weeks||Daily (one drop 3 times a day)|
|Treatment Location||Physician Office on Build-Up; Home on Maintenance||Home|
|FDA Approved?||Yes||Off-Label (Currently Pending)|
|Cost||Per Insurance Carrier||Out-of-Pocket (Click here for current cost)|
Related Blog Articles
- Allergy Shots in Britain Require a LONG Waiting Period Afterwards
- Child's Allergy Risk Higher If Same Sex Parent Has It
- Why is Allergy Present More Now than in Past? Hygiene vs Hapten Hypothesis
- Do Nasal Sprays Cause Glaucoma or Cataracts?
- Allergy Shots in the Leg? Abdomen?
- Food Allergy Reaction Video
- Does Acupuncture Help With Allergies?
- There are TWO Different Allergy Shot Systems (AAAAI and AAOA)
- Different Types of Immunotherapy for Allergy Cure
- Patients with Iodine or Seafood Allergy CAN Receive Contrast During CT Scans
- Hidden Costs of Allergy Shots
Related Articles Readers Have Viewed
Items that might help with allergies:
Any information provided on this website should not be considered medical advice or a substitute for a consultation with a physician. If you have a medical problem, contact your local physician for diagnosis and treatment. Advertisements present are clearly labelled and in no way support the website or influence the contents.